American Diabetes Association 77th Scientific Sessions
June 9-13, 2017; San Diego, CA; Resource Hub
Welcome to our ADA 2017 resource hub! This is a one-stop-shop for all your ADA 2017 needs - we'll post all of our ADA-related documents as we publish them, so check back often!
Useful Conference Links:
ADA 2017 Full Preview - A day-by-day overview of the meeting's biggest sessions.
Top Oral Presentations: Our picks for the can’t-miss drug and technology orals at ADA 2017 – this will go live in the two weeks leading up to ADA.
Top Posters: Our picks for the can’t-miss drug and technology posters at ADA 2017 – this will go live in the two weeks leading up to ADA.
Things to Do in San Diego: What to do, where to go, and what to eat while at ADA 2017
Diabetes Therapy Highlights:
- New SUSTAIN 6 Analyses of Retinopathy Risk, Weight Loss
- Dr. Anne Peters Calls for Simpler, “Lowercase-G” Diabetes Guidelines
- Dr. Lawrence Leiter on the Future of CVOTs
- Many Future Indications for SGLT-2 Inhibitors, According to Dr. Julio Rosenstock
- Awaiting GRADE Study and CAROLINA CVOT for Final Verdict on Sulfonylureas
- FDA Perspective on SGLT-2 Inhibitors and Bone Fracture Risk
- Remaining Challenges in Stem Cell-Derived Beta Cells According to Dr. Jeffrey Millman
- Impressive Dual VII Study Finds IDegLira Superior to Basal-Bolus Therapy in Terms of Hypoglycemia, Weight Loss, Insulin Dose Requirements, and Injection Burden
- Two Posters Describe a Faster Clinical Profile for Lilly’s Ultra-Rapid Insulin Formulation over Humalog
- Full Results from the Phase 3 inTandem1 and Phase 2 inTandem4 trials of Lexicon/Sanofi’s SGLT-1/2 Dual Inhibitor Sotagliflozin in Type 1 Diabetes
- Two New VERTIS Readouts Underscore Efficacy of Ertugliflozin, Especially in Combination with DPP-4 Inhibitor Sitagliptin
- Exenatide Once-Weekly Offers Advantages in A1c and Weight Loss as an Add-On to Insulin Therapy in the DURATION-7 Trial
- Zealand’s Liquid-Stable Dasiglucagon Shows Comparable PK/PD Profile to Native Glucagon in Phase 2 Study
- Merck Shares Preclinical Data on Glucose-Responsive Insulin
- Insulin Pricing: Complicated Issues with Complicated Solutions
- CVOTs: Past, Present, and Future
- New Cardiovascular, Microvascular, and Glycemic Analyses from LEADER
- Suggestive but Not Conclusive Findings from JDRF REMOVAL Study, Longest/Largest Trial of Metformin in Type 1 Diabetes
- First Dedicated Studies of a PCSK9 Inhibitor in Diabetes Report Compelling Positive Data
- Combination Therapy of AZ’s Farxiga and Bydureon Maintains Improvements in Glycemic Control and Body Weight Compared to Either Monotherapy in DURATION-8 Extension
- Promising Efficacy Data for Lexicon’s SGLT-1/2 Inhibitor Sotagliflozin in Type 1 Diabetes
- Semaglutide Proves Superior Body Weight Reduction across All SUSTAIN 1-5 Clinical Trials
- DELIVER 3 Study Demonstrates Significant Less Hypoglycemia with No Loss of Glycemic Control among Older Patients with Type 2 Diabetes who Switched their Basal Insulin to Toujeo vs. Other Insulins
Diabetes Technology Highlights:
- Reaching an International Consensus on Standardizing CGM Outcomes – Aligning Clinicians, Researchers, Patients, and Regulators
- Dr. Kowalski Reframes Future of Diabetes Care Debate: “The near term future of diabetes management is closed-loop pump technology”
- Diabetes Mine D-Data Exchange: Insulet Shows Cool Horizon Screens; FDA’s Strong Call for Interoperability Between Companies, Possible Workshop; Dexcom API Coming This Year
- Tandem’s Compelling Media Day: Up Close Looks at t:lock, Impressive Device Updater; G5 by Summer; First-gen App to Hopefully Launch this Year; PLGS in Early 2018
- Digital Transformation in Diabetes Consists of Shifts from Strips to Sensors, Proprietary Devices to Consumer Electronics, and Desktop to Cloud
- One Drop Integrates with Amazon Alexa Voice Technology; Brings Dr. Nicole Johnson on to the Advisory Board
- Ascensia + Voluntis Partner to Connect Contour Next and Plus One BGMs with Insulia Basal Titration App; Launch in 4Q17
- New Data on Medtronic’s Sugar.IQ with Watson: 37 Minutes/Day Improvement in Time-in-Range; Encouraging Engagement Over ~2 Weeks of Use in 81 Users
- New Abbott FreeStyle Libre Data: Real-World Country-by-Country, in 4-17 year Olds, & Pro in India
- T1 + T2 Pooled Data from Dexcom’s DiaMonD Study: -0.5% A1c Advantage with CGM, 72 More Minutes in Range vs. SMBG
- DIaMonD Study Analysis: Type 2s Find CGM as Satisfying, Engaging, and Valuable as Type 1s
- FreeStyle Libre Vs. G5 in Head-to-Head Accuracy Comparison
- SMBG Study: Structured Testing Leads to 1%+ Decline in A1c in Type 2s Not on Insulin Therapy
- Clinician Prescribing of CGM: 20% are “Ready,” 41% are “Cautious,” and 39% are “Not Yet”
- New Preliminary Data from the Recently “Completed” IDCL Training Phase: Mean 145 mg/dl, 77% in 70-180 mg/dl, 1% <70 mg/dl
- Drs. Polonsky and Pettus Debate CGM in Type 2 Diabetes (MDI, Basal-only, Non-Insulin), Concluding It Will Eventually Become the Standard of Care
- MiniMed 670G Glycemic Outcomes From Customer Training Phase (n=730) Strongly Resemble Pivotal Trial, Including 74% Time-in-Range and 2% in Hypoglycemia
- When Will the Madness End? Competitive Bidding Leaves 90k+ Dosing Insulin with Partial/No SMBG
- Dr. Rich Bergenstal on CGM standardization, 670G, balance between population health and personal care
- JDRF/NIH CL Research Meeting: Dr. Frank Doyle’s Predictions On the Next Five Years
- Latest in Automated Insulin Delivery Beyond Hybrid Closed Loop; “CARE” Model to Apply Closed Loop In Clinical Care
Day by Day Coverage:
The links will go live as we publish each document over the two weeks leading up to ADA. For more on how to best use this resource, see our Category Document Tip Sheet. Please note - all abstracts, while publicly available on the ADA itinerary planner, are still under embargo. Embargos for oral presentations lift at the end of the oral presentation session and embargos for poster presentations lift at 10:00 AM PST on Saturday, June 10. Please see the full ADA embargo policy here.
- Glucose Monitoring: Continuous glucose monitoring (CGM), blood glucose monitoring (BGM), and flash glucose monitoring.
- Closing the Loop and Insulin Delivery: Artificial pancreas, insulin pumps, patches and other means of insulin delivery.
- Digital Health: mHealth, the cloud, and online technologies.
- SGLT-2 Inhibitors: SGLT-2 inhibitors, SGLT-1 inhibitors, and relevant combination therapies.
- Insulin Therapy: Insulin therapies (injectable, oral, and inhaled) and relevant combination therapies.
- GLP-1 Agonists: GLP-1 agonists and relevant combination therapies.
- Novel Therapies: New classes of drugs that are under investigation for diabetes, obesity, or related conditions, including novel glucagon formulations, hormone dual agonists, PCSK9 inhibitors, and saroglitazar. Does NOT include new products within drug classes that are currently available, including insulin, GLP-1 agonists, SGLT-2 inhibitors, and DPP-4 inhibitors, but does include combinations of these classes with new therapeutic targets (SGLT-1/2 dual inhibitors, GLP-1/glucagon dual agonists, etc.).
- DPP-4 Inhibitors: DPP-4 inhibitors and relevant combination therapies.
- Type 1 Diabetes: Therapies and Pathophysiology: Cure-based topics and pathophysiology of type 1 diabetes, including predictors of type 1 diabetes and clinical data on cell-based therapies. Adjunct therapies for type 1 diabetes are included in this category as well.
- Obesity and Prediabetes Care: Obesity therapies, bariatric surgery, prediabetes care, and diabetes prevention.
- Policy and Education: Models of care delivery for diabetes, big-picture information on the state of diabetes and diabetes care in the US and elsewhere, policy relating to diabetes prevention, and selected abstracts related to diabetes education.
- Diabetes Complications: A curated collection of abstracts on diabetes complications, weighted towards nephropathy, retinopathy, and macrovascular disease.